Before your baby can start crawling and walking, he’ll need to master the art of some more important physical milestones first. Such as holding his head up and strengthening his core. All of which only happens with the help of tummy time. In this post, we’ll take a look at what tummy time is and how you can make the most of it.
What is tummy time?
Tummy Time is pretty much all in the name and refers to the time your baby spends on his or her tummy. Spending time on their tummies ensures that babies get the opportunity to strengthen their neck, shoulder, arm, and belly muscles. All of which are important for sitting, rolling over, pushing up, crawling, and walking.
When should parents start with this?
You can start tummy time with your newborn as soon as you’re home from the hospital. The sooner you start, the less your baby will resist it. With newborns, the best way to do tummy time is to have your baby laying belly-to-belly with you. And for even better perks, have your baby make skin-to-skin contact with you.
How much time should my baby spend on her tummy?
Alert infants should be placed in the tummy time position for three to five minutes at a time at least two or three times a day. By the time your baby is three or four months old, you can shoot for twenty minutes of tummy time a day, working up to 60 minutes in total per day.
How can I make it easier for my baby?
- Start as early as possible and don’t wait until the newborn days have passed.
- Make tummy time special by bonding with your baby through skin-to-skin contact as you place her, belly-to-belly, on top of you.
- Get down to his level and help him find interesting things to look at and play with while he’s working those muscles.
- Let some texture in. Make use of textured rugs and soft blankets to help stimulate your baby during tummy time.
- Take it slow during the first few days and give your baby some time to get used to the idea. Don’t force her to stay in the position for extended periods of time. Work up the amount of time she spends on her tummy as she gets used to the idea.