As a baby’s delivery date approaches, most moms-to-be are ticking off those final “must have” items on their buying list for baby. Often, something as nondescript as the best burp cloths don’t make that list. But this post will help you see exactly why baby burp cloths need to be on there.
What exactly is a baby burp cloth?
Unfortunately, burping your baby will soon become a ritual after milk feeds. This allows gas inside of baby’s stomach to come out, ensuring that your baby is content and comfy. More often than not, spit up is present when burping a baby. In an effort not to ruin your clothes, you use a burp cloth s a spit-up catcher.
How to properly use a burp cloth
Baby burp cloths can be spread over a mum’s shoulder before she lifts the baby up for a burping session. Ensure that the cloth covers the entire surface area of your shoulder horizontally, running across the back and front of your shoulder vertically.
Do you need dozens of burp cloths?
The number of burp cloths you’ll need largely depends on how many milk feedings your baby has on an average day. And how reusable your cloths of choice are. If your baby doesn’t spit up every time he gets burped, you’ll be able to reuse the burp cloth for the next session. If your baby has 12 milk feeding sessions per day and you plan on washing all the burp cloths at the end of the day, this means you will need 12 burp cloths. This number can be halved if you’re a little OCD over washing soiled clothing items.
How do you pick the best baby burp cloth?
Luckily, the market doesn’t have a shortage of variety when it comes to baby burp cloths. But that might also make it harder for new moms to pick just one brand and style. Follow these guidelines when making a brand and style selection for your baby’s burping cloths.
- They should be easy to use. Baby products that aren’t easy to use are merely a waste of time and money. The burp cloth should be easy to use, shouldn’t be slippery, and shouldn’t be too thick.
- Materials matter. Babies have extremely delicate and sensitive skins. Which means that burp cloths should be made of soft materials such as 100% cotton. It needs to be dense enough to able to soak up any spit up that comes out. But it also needs a waterproof lining so that the moisture won’t soak through on your clothes.
- Bigger is better. Burp cloths should be able to spread across a mother’s shoulder, front and back. Because we cannot predict where babies will spit, we need to cover all exposed areas of our shoulders, which is why a bigger cloth is better.
- They need to be washable. As a new mom, you’re going to use and reuse your burp cloths a lot. Which is why they need to be washable and able to withstand regular cleaning. Burp cloths also need to dry quickly once washed, regardless of the weather conditions.
- Paying more is often the better option. Basic burp cloths are cheap, but for a little more dough you can invest in the best burp cloths which are manufactured with more luxurious materials for optimal comfort.